17 May Healthy fruit custard with crunchy surprise
Posted at 15:41h in Recipes
Healthy fruit custard with crunchy surprise
A healthy and vegan custard made with ripe fruit and biscuits or old sponge cake.Easy and satisfies all palates!
- Hand blender or food processor (necessary)
- Whisker (recommended)
- 500 g ripe fruit – we used peach and apple
- 5 dates, seed removed
- 3 tbsp rice flour
- Biscuits or old sponge cake
- Pumpkin or sunflower seeds, to decorate
- Set about 3 cups of water to boil in a kettle or small pot, we will use this to soften the dates.
- Set a large pot to low heat and add the chopped fruit. Pour some water, stir well, cover and let simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Chop the dates in half, remove the seeds and add to a small bowl. Pour the boiled water and let them soften for 5 minutes.
- Once the dates are soft, chop them finely and add to the fruit pot. Cook for 10-15 minutes at low heat or until the fruits are soft and mushy.
- Remove the pot from the stove and blend the fruits well with a hand- or juice-blender. Add the creamy mix back to the pot, add the rice flour, stir well (if possible with a whisker, until there are no lumps), cook at low heat for about 10 more minutes.
- In the meantime, chop the cookies or old cake roughly and set a pan to medium heat. Add the chopped pieces and cook until golden and toasted (not burnt!). Remove from heat and save.
- Once the fruit and flour are cooked, blend again to smoothen out any lump, achieving a creamy silky texture.
- Prepare small glasses or bowl and get ready to plate: using your hands, break the cookie/cake pieces into crumbs and add to the bottom of each glass, then pour any desired amount of fruit custard into each glass.
- Let the custard sit in the freezer for 30 minutes, then transfer to the fridge. If you have time, let them sit in the fridge instead for a whole night (8-12h). To serve, top with a few seeds (we used pumpkin) and enjoy!
Tbsp = tablespoon(s)